Why...WHY???

Am I the only person whose children do VERY naughty things in the wee hours of the morning? From what we can piece together based on the evidence, the morning at our house went something like this: Lily got up to use the bathroom at some point (this would have been worthy of praise, since this was the first night she didn't wear a diaper to sleep and managed to keep her bed dry). From what we can tell, her billowing nightgown may have impeded her in getting to the toilet in time...so it was left in a soaking heap on the bathroom floor, along with her underwear and the innocent-bystander bathmat. However, something else must have gone awry, because there was also a trail of something-gross-that-rhymes-with-"floop" smeared on the toilet seat. Sigh.

Anyway.

Whether it was to reward herself for staying dry all night or to drown her sorrows about not getting to the toilet on time, we do not know -- but Lily then proceeded to the kitchen where she unscrewed the lid from the bottle of chocolate syrup and CONSUMED THE ENTIRE THING. Not kidding, it was a brand new bottle. Now, I say the entire thing; I'm referring to what was not spilled (which she *helpfully* opted to clean up (read: smear all over the place) with a kitchen dishrag) or left in sticky fingerprints on the chocolate chips and a box of SweeTarts, which she also sampled.

I can tell you this right now: I hate mornings enough without waking up to something like that.

Comments

Lisa said…
"Is this chocolate or poop??!? Is this CHOCOLATE or POOP!!!?!?!"

In this case, I guess it's both.

Ugh...I have so much to look forward to. Is she ill today, after consuming THAT MUCH chocolate syrup?

By the way, I'm using "UGH" from the "Peanuts" comic strip. I never knew (still don't), if Charles Schulz meant for this to be pronounced "Ug" "Uh" or "Ew". I'm thinking "Ew", but growing up, I also read it to myself as "ug". What do you think?
Kara said…
It has never -- I repeat, NEVER -- occured to me that the expression "ugh" might be pronounced "ew." Now I feel kind of dumb. In my head, I've always said it with a sort of guttural sound (similar to the French pronunciation of the letter 'R'). Does that make any sense?
Always an adventure of one kind or the other at your house. Man...I'm not looking forward to those days.
Becky said…
Oh Kara! I would have given up right there. I'm so sorry. By the way, your family pictures are SO cute! I love them.
Sara said…
Oh my.
Oh my.
Well, I've heard you say she might kill you in your sleep one day. At least this was only a really big mess.
I'm curious, did she go back to bed? Did she clothe herself again? Are you going to lock her in in the future?
That is a very funny story. Thanks for sharing.
katester said…
Events like this are only funny when they are not happening to you personally. But and I am sorry to say, it is a hilarious story and I laughed very hard, so thank lily for that. I am however sorry for the mess you had to find and clean up the next day. At least she is going potty, now all she needs to learn is how to not leave any trails of her whereabouts.
B Flat Major said…
I'm with Lisa. Don't lick the toilet to see if it was really poop.

Lily must have an iron constitution to down an entire bottle of Hershey's like that. As for a reward for the clean bed and midnight toilet usage: I'd say she chose it [and drank it] herself.

I am feeling like uncultured swine, as I have never considered alternate Ugh pronunciations. I've traditionally gone with Ug with a very strong 'g' sound that almost produces an 'h' upon release: "ug-guh."
Mikkel said…
You are not alone. And neither am I apparently. Thank goodness.
Kristin said…
I am totally diggin' this new blogging style, Kara. Your stories are classic! Man I love that little Lily. My kind of gal!

Popular posts from this blog

The Longest Update Ever...

Summer is here!

How It All Began