The Month in Pictures




Amanda's pre-school field trip to a local pumpkin patch. The other three kids in her class had already gone home at this point, so you'll just have to be satisfied with what you see here.
The see-saw was a big hit with the girls. You can't really tell this from the picture, but Amanda and Lily must be almost exactly the same weight. They were not in motion when this photo was taken; they were both hovering mid-air because they were perfectly balanced!
I took the kids down to Memory Grove to take some pictures of them. A bunch of cuties!
We went up to Logan to celebrate our family's October birthdays -- mine, my sister Lisa's, my nephew Sawyer's and Lily's. My parents treated us to breakfast and then bought pumpkins for us to carve at my sister Krista's place. Papa helped Amanda and Lily carve this scary Jack-o-Lantern!
Benson got to choose a pumpkin, too.
Carving pumpkins was fun, but what was REALLY entertaining was the interaction between Benson and Sawyer. These little cousins are four months apart, and it's so fun to see them together! In these pictures, Sawyer is attacking Benson because my sister and her husband were paying attention to Benson. Sawyer immediately targeted him as the "enemy" and was out to destroy him! Though Sawyer is older than Benson, I think Benson outweighs Sawyer by a fair amount. It's a good thing Benson's a lover, not a fighter... :)
"Hey! If you don't get away from my mom RIGHT NOW, I'm gonna beat you up!"Next up was the annual trip to the pumpkin patch with Logan's family. What a gorgeous day it was!
Our baby with his baby-sized pumpkin.
The whole family -- even baby Rachel, who was born just five days before! Let's all give a hand to Rachel's mom Brenda, the real unsung hero...
After we made our selections at the pumpkin patch, it was back to Regular Grandma and Grandpa's for the October birthdays celebration. (These may seem like strange titles for grandparents. Amanda came up with these names when she was just one year old. You see, Amanda has A LOT of grandparents -- she has my parents, Logan's parents, one set of great-grandparents on my side and two sets of great-grandparents on Logan's side. My parents are Grammy and Papa. My grandparents are Grandmom and Granddad. Logan's grandparents are Grandma & Grandpa Toone and Grandma & Grandpa Neilson. That left Logan's parents without any sort of title that would differentiate them from all the other grandparetns, so Amanda christened them Regular Grandma and Grandpa, and that is how we always refer to them now. Wow, that was a really long sidenote.) Lily received this doll, Beepy Cootie (Sleeping Beauty), which she loves.
Lily also received this little apron equipped with cooking tools (a little set of kitchen pots and pans completed the gift -- so cute!). She has already broken in the rolling pin "helping" me prepare some pastry dough for baking.
This brings us to our next adventure: Amanda's pre-school Halloween party! Siblings were invited to come along, so Lily got to join in the fun. Have you ever seen a cat and mouse with such a good relationship?
They got to play fun games, like pumpkin bowling.
Next up was Amanda's friend Brooklyn's birthday party, where each attendee was instructed to come dressed in full princess regalia. Just a note about this dress. Amanda received this darling dress-up from Grammy for her third birthday. Though that was nearly a year ago, this was the first time she had ever worn it. For some reason, she has a real aversion to wearing any material that isn't made of natural fibers. Seriously. I had to do some major pleading/bargaining to get her to put this on. However, by the time all was said and done, she was ready to forget being a kitty for Halloween and go as a princess instead (I said no).
All the pretty princesses. What fun!
And last but not least, Halloween. Here is our little menagerie...
Our homeowner's association hosts a little Trick-or-Treat walk for anyone who wants to come (as long as they bring treats for the kids!). It was so fun to see all the kids dressed up!
Amanda and Lily carefully make their selections. Not that it did them much good. I made sure to raid their buckets for Reese's Peanut Butter Cups before they even knew what hit them. This is the parental Halloween candy tax -- i.e., my payment for putting together their costumes, getting them all dressed and ready to go, taking fliers to every house in our neighborhood to advertise the trick-or-treat walk so that somebody would be there to give them some candy, etc.
Though unable to eat most of the Halloween spoils, Benson still made a mighty cute (and roly-poly) puppy!

Comments
I am officially on board with your notion of the Parental Halloween Tax. I never thought of it in terms of payback, but the kids totally DO owe us for all the thankless work (or, sometimes, at least $$$$ for the costumes) we put into Halloween. In fact I motion for a tax increase. Anyone second my motion?
I can't believe you put the family picture at the pumpkin patch on the internet for all to see. I thought I looked fat/wide/elephantine the day I saw the picture. Now, a week later, I look even worse. I didn't know you could gain weight/girth in a static image like a photograph.
Even it would have ruined Logan's Animal Control constume, I think you should have let Amanda be the princess. :-)
Give me a call and we'll see what we can put together!? 627-0504
I would totally LOVE to get together with you and Jana! Just tell me when and we will for sure be there!
Lily and Amanda are about the same weight?! That is funny how your kids get slightly larger and larger as you have more. I wonder how large the fourth will be.... ;)
Oh looky, I am the only person who is not a "married female" that has posted a comment on this. Ha ha, there must be something wrong with me.
We are going to make our blog private and I would love to send you an invite. If you get a second would you leave a comment on my blog with your email address?? I would love to keep in touch with you!!
It was so FUN to see you last week. Again, so darn CUTE and so so LITTLE. I am so impressed with you and all your many TALENTS! You make me want to be better. Thanks for sharing some tips with me. I love your house, right on down to the crawl space! And your kids were so fun, too. Lilly's perma-face, I will never forget! Thanks for letting us stop by on your busy day. I hope we didn't make you late to anything. I apologize if so! I didn't realize how late it was till I got in the car :( Can't wait till I see you again!
I have been thinking of you lately and I apologize for my belated-ness is wishing you a happy birthday but I do want to say, "Happy Birthday!!!" I hope you really enjoyed your day and I know you surely savored each moment with your beloved family. You are so wonderful, I'm so glad you are doing well!! Love you!