My Two Dads

Since Father's Day is right around the corner, I thought I'd pay tribute to two of the most important men in my life...

Let's start with my father-in-law. David was born in 1954. During his childhood, his parents were in the business of "flipping" houses (buying them cheap, making improvements, then selling them), so he moved quite a bit. He graduated from Bountiful High School and then served in what was then the southern states mission. Soon after returning home, he met my mother-in-law (Nancy), and they were married in July of 1976 at the ripe old ages of 21 and 18, respectively! He earned a bachelor's and master's degree from BYU (in agricultural economics -- I don't really have any idea what that means). He currently works as a regional manager for Deseret Industries (my FAVORITE place!).

What I love about him: He is the fix-anything dad. Really, I don't think there's a problem he can't solve. If there's something that needs to be repaired or modified to be more useful -- be it a broken car or someone's bad attitude -- he's your man! He is a hard worker and has been all his life, and it's a trait he's passed on to his children (I happen to be one of the beneficiaries!). He is generous regardless on anyone's abilities to return his kindnesses; he has no expectation of being repaid. I can't count how many times he has helped Logan do a complicated repair on a car -- and then paid for the parts, a full tank of gas and our dinner to boot. I remember when Logan unexpectedly had to have a hernia repaired. At the time, we had recently filled some sinkholes in our yard, and Logan's attempts to reseed the grass had failed. Due to his surgery, he was unable to try again, and it was driving him crazy (those of you who know Logan know that he has a "special" relationship with our grass). Dad showed up at our house with a bag of seed, some peat moss and his work hat -- and then he got busy. This time, the seed took (no surprise there; everything he does works!). I remember when we were expecting Lily. Logan's work, church and school load had been particularly difficult that semester. As Lily's due date grew closer, projects we thought we'd have done -- such as finishing a basement room so Lily could live in the bedroom next to ours; painting an old furniture set for the room Amanda would soon occupy -- just weren't ready. Dad came to our rescue again. He taught Logan how to lay carpet (who else would know how to do that off the top of their head?) and then helped him do it. He took the furniture to his house to paint, and within days of my return from the hospital, he delivered it to our house -- looking much better than it would have if I had done it, I might add. All of these things considered, I still have to say that my favorite quality is his humility. I know that I am aware of only a very small portion of the kind deeds he has performed; I bet there are things he's done that not even his wife knows about. He doesn't want to be recognized, he doesn't want anybody to go out of their way on his behalf and he doesn't require anyone fussing over him. As I write this, a million other great qualities are popping into my head. I could go on forever about him. I guess I'll just wrap it up by saying I love you, Dad!


Now for my Daddy! Walter L. Baker (nope, the 'L' doesn't stand for anything; it's just an initial) was born in 1954 in Boise, Idaho. His youth was spent riding motorcycles and getting in and out of trouble with his twin, Wally. As a teenager, some friends invited him to receive lessons from two Mormon missionaries, and he accepted. He made the decision to be baptized a member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, though his family was not in favor of it. Not long after, he served a mission in Monterrey, Mexico. Upon his return, he attended Utah State University to study engineering. It was there that he met my mom. They were married June 23, 1977. He is currently the bishop of his ward and works for the Department of Environmental Quality in the Water Quality division.

When I try to list the things I love about Daddy, all I can think is, "What DON'T I love about him?" At the risk of gushing, I just have to say that I love, love, LOVE absolutely EVERYTHING about him -- and it's been that way every since I was a little girl. I love that he is a peacemaker -- never one for contention and forgiving to a fault. I love that he doted on me and my sisters when we were little, and that he does the same (except multiplied by about a million) to his grandkids. I have a letter from him in my hope chest dated 8/4/96. I don't remember why, but for some reason, my mom and sisters were gone; it was just me and Daddy at home. He was preparing to leave on a business trip, but we had a day or two together before he departed. He left this letter for me in my room, and this is what it said:

"My Dear Kara,

The hour is late and I will be getting up at 4:30 a.m. to leave on my trip to Denver. However, before doing so I want to take a minute to tell you how much I enjoyed spending a little bit of time with you while everyone else was gone. Wingers, an ice cream at Target, corn on the cob and a midnight car washing junket are memories which I will fondly recall in the years to come.

You were a tremendous help in the absence of your siblings. Without a word from me you dutifully went about your work and doing what needed to be done. You are a ray of sunshine in my life. I believe you have the ability to make others try to do better simply because of the high standards you maintain. You have a pleasant disposition that attracts others to you -- and you are a friend to all. I am proud as I can be to be your father.

In case you haven't guessed -- I love you very much! I'll miss you while I am gone, but I know you will make good judgments and correct decisions.

Love,

Daddy

P.S. I also injoy that when you squirt yourself in your face with the sprinkler -- you don't get mad -- you have a good laugh!"

At the time this letter was written, I was just a couple months shy of my fifteenth birthday -- arguably the most weird and awkward stage of life. Despite my obvious shortcomings, Daddy complimented me and expressed his trust in me -- two things I hope to be able to do for my own children. Never -- never -- in my life have I ever questioned his love for me; it has been an absolute constant. I love you too, Daddy! Happy Father's Day!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Longest Update Ever...

Summer is here!

How It All Began