The Sitcom

For many years now, I have been writing a sitcom in my head. When I hear a completely random and hilarious story, I always make a mental note to myself to include it in the sitcom. These stories come from family (actually, primarily from my sister Krista; I sometimes think her life actually IS a sitcom), friends, complete strangers and, of course, my own childhood, adolescence and (sort-of) adulthood. Never mind that I don't know anything about TV writing; this stuff is pure gold and is going to make me rich one day. A few of my favorite episodes:

-- The one where your fifty-something manager at work, who describes herself as a "bobcat" in the bedroom, generously offers to let you borrow some of her lingerie for the approaching Valentine's Day

-- The one where you randomly receive a Christmas card from an old acquaintance who, amidst the usual updates on work and kids, goes into GREAT DETAIL about the birth control failure that resulted in her most recent child -- but still manages to close things out with a cheerful "Happy Holidays!"

-- The one where you're eleven years old and someone -- you, your friend or one of your two sisters -- has tracked dog poo into the house, but nobody's owning up to it. This causes your up-until-then non-vulgar, Mormon mother to begin dropping swears (the non-Bible kind) all over the place. Later we learn that your friend really was to blame, but she was scared out of her mind about what might have happened if she confessed.

-- The one where you run to the store with your friend and your infant daughter and encounter a very chatty gentleman who makes some comments that indicate he thinks you and your friend are lesbians together -- but you don't make that connection until it's too late to correct his assumption.

These are just a few little gems from the treasure trove. If you have any episodes to add, I'd love to hear them! Just be aware that when I do strike it rich with the sitcom, there's no way I'm giving you any credit or sharing any royalties with you.

Comments

Becky said…
Those are awesome! I will have to think of some- I'm sure I have plenty of sitcoms that have happened in my own life!
Nathan Toone said…
What about the one where a guy calls you at work wondering if he can get newspapers for the pig he won from the fair - and you end up telling him that he should kill the pig.
Kara said…
Ah, yes. I think that needs to be a "cliffhanger" season finale...
Tyler Clawson said…
LOL Kara, of course, what would a sitcom be without sex and swearing?? You would be a GREAT sitcom writer.
Logan Toone said…
What about the one where you're 7 months pregnant, and you get locked out of your mom's house. Your 18 month old daughter is locked inside and is screaming. When you try to climb through the front window, your pregnant belly becomes lodged in the window frame and you're stuck with your bum toward the street.

A neighbor would then come over, climb up the drainpipe, enter on the third floor balcony and save the day.
Lisa said…
Some of these sound like they could not even be real. I love knowing that they ARE!

I think "and your pants" is my favorite episode.

BTW, re: your comment on my kitten pictures. It's a good thing I didn't put up the "just born two seconds ago" pictures. They really would have given credence to Amanda's "theory".
Kara said…
"And Your Pants" is a possible name for this series (any other ideas?). This refers to the episode where your parents take away your car because of your repeated traffic violations. You are forced to rely on public transportation. One day, you sleep late and realize that you're going to miss your bus if you don't get to the bus stop FAST. You get ready and fly out the door, making it to the bus stop with time to spare. While you wait for your ride, you strike up conversation with a girl you sort of know. After a couple of minutes, she says, "Um, I think your sweater is on inside out." You look down and become embarrassed when you realize she is right! No big deal, though; you have a t-shirt on underneath, so you just slip the sweater off and turn it right side out. Problem solved! However, the look on her face seems to indicate that there is still a problem. Then she says, "And your pants." You look down again, and again she is correct; somehow you have managed to put your pants on inside out. Right then, the bus pulls up to the curb. You have no choice but to board the bus and ride to work with your pants on inside out.
Becky said…
I have one that may or may not be based on a true story:
On your wedding day, you and your brand new spouse are at your new apartment getting ready for the reception that evening. As you go outside to pack the car, you both suddenly realize that the front door is locked and the keys are inside! Finally your groom acts as the knight in shining armor and somehow unlatches the tall skinny window and climbs through. As you get to your reception, your family is starring at you and you realize that you are late, your hair is messed up, and you are both out of breath!
Kristin said…
I can't even begin to tell you how thrilled I am that one of my episodes is already in. Lesbian love!

Popular posts from this blog

The Longest Update Ever...

Summer is here!

How It All Began