Rebuttal

(This post was written by Logan)

I typically don’t post on Kara’s blog, but after reading her last post, I really felt that I needed to clarify a few things. I was just going to leave a comment, but apparently to leave a comment, you need to have a blog of your own, (either that or you need to sign on as a guest which involves giving the blogger people your name, phone number, email address, mailing address, age, grade point average, blood type, social security number, bank account number, and credit card number. They also ask you to undergo a fingerprint analysis and a retinal scan.) I didn’t want to go through all that, and I happen to know Kara’s login and password. So I figured I’d just log on and make a post of my own. For those who enjoy reading Kara’s posts as much as I do, I apologize for interrupting your reading pleasure. Since this is a rebuttal to some unsubstantiated claims made in Kara’s last post, it will probably make more sense if you read her post before you read this one.

First of all, the convention was not a "nerd convention." It was a convention for math teachers, and math teachers are not nerds … At least I don’t think we are … Is there a widely accepted stereotype about members of my chosen profession that I am not aware of?

Second, the Devil has no association with the Futures Channel. It’s a really great channel! It’s like 24 hours of Bill Nye the science guy … except for math! What could be better than that?

Third, the Virginia lady did not have a pocket protector. And even if she had, it would have been ridiculous for her to expect that melted M&Ms would damage it in any way. Pocket protectors these days are made of high quality ink-resistant material that can also protect from other sources of stains (including chocolate and melted candy shells). They are so durable now that they can’t be punctured by mechanical pencils (even the .5 mm ones). Some pocket protectors have this little flap that folds over the front of the pocket to protect against incidental marking of the pocket as you replace pens and pencils. This is especially helpful when your pocket is almost full of pens already, and you still need to add one more. I saw some really awesome pocket protectors at the convention! I entered a drawing to win one, but I didn’t win … Darn!

Fourth … well, I guess there is no fourth. I do concede that Kara made a good point about the spare compasses. Really … What if something happened to the Virginia lady’s compasses and she needed to draw a perfect circle? What would she have done then? I wish she would have given me one of her extra compasses though; one can never have too many.

Anyway, I really love Kara, and she is typically right about most things. I just wanted to point out that there is no reason to assume that if a person is a math teacher they must be a nerd.

Comments

Lisa said…
Nice rebuttal, Logan. It my hold up in court with a jury of *your* peers (nerds).
Josh said…
Okay, so I just read your post and came to make a comment and much to my surprise there is already a comment here from me. Come to find out Becky hijacked my account to make that comment.

I just wanted to say that I loved this post, it had me laughing out loud. You made your first rebuttal, "math teachers aren't nerds" and then systematically broke down that rebuttal with each and every sentence that followed. I think it's time for you to embrace the nerd within.

PS. I'm not saying that financial analysts are much better, but at least we get to golf more.

Popular posts from this blog

The Longest Update Ever...

Summer is here!

How It All Began