A New Life

So I've survived the first couple of weeks as a mother of three! I'm not going to pretend that this is something I've done on my own; I've had TONS of help and support from family, friends and neighbors. My mom was here Saturday through Wednesday -- not to mention the time she spent with the girls while I was in the hospital and Logan couldn't be around. My sister came up a couple of times (thanks, Lisa!), and I've received lots of visits, gifts and phone calls. Everyone has been so sweet to us! We truly are blessed.

The next couple of days will bring two-week check-ups for myself and for Benson. We both seem to be doing great! I wish that this whole trying-to-prevent-my-body-from-producing-milk business would move along a little faster, but mother nature seems to have her own timetable for things. Benson is eating and sleeping like a champ; last night he slept from 12:45 until 8:00! During his wakeful periods, he is calm and sweet. We just love him!

The girls are still happy about the fact that Benson has come to live with us; I don't know whether that will wear off or not. Maybe he's just a novelty item...

Logan and I learned a few days ago that he will be traveling to a conference in New Orleans next week. After making some whirlwind travel plans, I will be going with him! Just the two of us! Once again, a HUGE thank you to my parents, who have agreed to take all three kids for the duration. It's quite a job to care for a newborn alone -- not to mention a one-year-old and a three-year-old! My mother is a saint...

I don't think I mentioned that when Logan and I attempted to take my picture right before going to the hospital to deliver Benson, our camera decided to go on the fritz. Logan accidentally stepped on it a few months ago. Since that time, it's been a bit tempermental about actually turning on when one hits the 'power' button. Of course, it decided to freak out on the very day that we were bringing a new child into our family! We've been borrowing my parents' camera for the past couple of weeks, but I'm happy to report that we're going to be getting a new (and much nicer!) camera in the next day or two. This is kind of a splurge, but it's an investment as well. The camera we're getting will allow us to take our own family portraits (I'm not a really big fan of formal indoor portrait sittings anyway -- in look or in price). Also, it has a fast shutter speed so that our children won't be remembered as blurs. I'm really excited about this! It will be fun to have the new camera in New Orleans, too.

Logan is in St. George right now attending another conference of some sort. It was just a quick trip; he left last night and will be back tonight. I still miss him, though! I'm such a baby when it comes to being apart from him. I mean, it's not like I sit down and cry or something (actually, I don't cry very often at all), but I just think about him a lot and wish he were here. I would be a terrible military wife!

Well, there's a lot to be done around this house. The laundry and the dishes are threatening to overtake me! I've had a blunt reminder about how much laundry a little baby can make...

Comments

Becky said…
You're a super-mom! And how nice to have a vacation! That will be fun! When you guys get back and settled in, we'll have to do dinner!
p.s. Have Logan talk Josh into hurrying it up in the house-department! I don't think we'll be buying for at least 6 months. Can you just save the house for us? ;)
Bethany said…
Benson is beautiful. It sounds like you are managing just fine which is amazing considering your work load. Whenever I read your blog I just tell myself to suck it up and be better like Kara. Someday...