Pop, pop, POP!!!

Why is it that when you get to the stage of pregnancy I'm at, people make comments about you popping? Is everyone aware that pregnant women don't pop? On Christmas Eve, Logan and I stopped at a gas station before going to a family Christmas party. While there, I decided to get a bottle of water. There was a lady standing right in front of the refrigerated case of bottled water. As I tried to edge around her to get my water, she exclaimed (not using her "indoor voice"), "Whoa, you're just about ready to pop!" (Please imagine the way it sounds when somebody with no teeth utters this phrase. This woman definitely had no teeth.) This was on December 24th -- a full two months from my due date of February 25th. The inevitable next question came: "When are you due? Any day now?" The response that I wasn't due for another two months pretty much sent her into orbit (not quiet orbit). "You're going to explode!" PREGNANT PEOPLE DO NOT SPONTANEOUSLY COMBUST! I HAVE NEVER HEARD OF IT HAPPENING -- EVER! She was parked right in front of the water this whole time. I finally managed to get my water and get out of there (to her credit, she did wish me merry Christmas and good luck with the baby).

Yesterday Logan and I went out to Tepanyaki for dinner (my parents gave him a gift card for his birthday). We walked in the door and requested a table for two. The hostess came out from behind the counter -- which apparently had hidden my belly from her view. As soon as she rounded the corner, her eyes widened and fixated on my mid-section. "You're pregnant! You're gonna pop!" No, I'm really not. Then she suggested we have some sushi to "make that baby slide right out." Wow. Maybe this girl wants to be my midwife or something. I suppose I can only dream...

Well, enough of that little rant. My friend Emily had a baby shower for me yesterday, and people were so generous! I got some really nice things. It occurs to me that the only things I have purchased for this baby (aside from various baby items I already had from the girls) are a toy airplane, a toy truck and a blessing outfit. That's it. Everything else has been provided through the kindness of others! I can't believe how spoiled I am!

More recent Amanda-isms:

The other day, about 40 minutes after I put Amanda down for her nap, she came downstairs in her panties only (?). When I told her that she was supposed to be sleeping, she said, "But Mom, I can't go to sleep. My bum just keeps on dancing and dancing." I just hate it when my bum gets a mind of its own...

I think it was on the same day that she started looking around our kitchen with complete wonderment. After a bit, she said, "Look, Mom, butterfly fuzzes! I think it's snowing inside our house!" I realized that she was talking about the dust particles floating about in the air. Nice!

I did get some great video of Lily being offered a banana. As soon as I get it captured and edited, I'll post it. It always makes me laugh!

Comments

Becky said…
Oh, I hear you! I hate the comments I get when I'm prego. When I was 7 months along with Ian, Josh's aunt came up to me and told me I looked like I was 10 months along! Nice! Thanks! SHUT UP!! So I feel for you. Good luck with everything, I hope all goes well. By the way- your Amanda-isms totally made me laugh! She's hilarious!
Susanna said…
You know, my mom is one of those people who always makes comments to pregnant women. She's also one of those old ladies that always wants to see and comment on your new baby. One day when I was complaining about being stopped every two seconds by people wanting to ask me about my twins she said "you know, when people stop you and make comments, it's just because they want to show that they are happy for you and think what you are doing is exciting." Ever since then I have learned to take in in stride. People really do mean well.
Bethany said…
I think my least favorite part was the staring. I would feel like screaming, "Yes, I'm pregnant! Move along; nothing to see here." You would think in Utah it would be a common sight. P.S. I hope you don't POP.

Popular posts from this blog

The Longest Update Ever...

Summer is here!

How It All Began