Final Preparations
I realize that it's more fun to see pictures and videos on blogs rather than to be subjected to senseless blather. However, it takes a lot of effort to get decent photos in the first place; edit them; download them; condense them, if necessary; and then come up with captions and explanations for everything. Video is even more of an ordeal. I pledge that while I am sitting in the hospital after the baby is born, I will catch up on these tasks! However, the days I have left before he arrives can't be spent on editing photos and stuff. I'm already a naughty pet for devoting this precious time (both children are napping) to blogging instead of dish-washing, laundry-folding, bed-making, thank-you-card-writing, or any of the other million things that need to be done!
I think I am officially in the nesting stage. I had a burst of energy yesterday to wash all the baby's clothes and blankets, set up his bassinet and organize all his acoutrements (diapers, lotions, wipes, etc.). I still need to launder all my maternity clothes, sort them, return the items that were borrowed and store the items that weren't. I need to write thank you notes to people who have given us gifts. I need to write the "just in case I die" letters to my husband and kids. I need to be sure everything is set to go for Valentine's Day. I need to go to Enrichment Night tonight (if they have a children's class; Logan has class tonight, of course). The home teachers are coming tonight, so I should probably do something about the mountain of dishes in my kitchen sink. Amidst all of this, I need to find a way to not ignore my children and apply basic grooming principles to all the occupants of this house. Sigh...
Did I mention that my ears feel like they're full of peanut butter? No? Well, I've been feeling very dehydrated for the past couple of weeks. It doesn't seem to matter how much effort I make to drink more fluids (not that I've made a very valiant effort; I really don't like to drink water); I just feel all dried out. Anyway, about a week ago, my right ear started hurting a little bit, especially if I blew my nose or something. Then I started running a slight fever, and then Amanda got a pretty bad fever (almost 102 degrees). So we made an appointment with our family doctor. By the time the appointment rolled around, Amanda's fever had broken and she didn't have any other symptoms. So that was good. After looking in my ears, however, the doctor said that they were plugged up and that it was probably causing the discomfort and the congestion I've been experiencing. He prescribed some ear drops for me and told me that they needed to be administered four times a day for two days. After two days, I'm to go back into the office to have my ears flushed out. So I had my first two doses last night. Have you ever gone swimming and had water stuck really far inside your ear? It kind of muffles things and makes you want to yawn 1,000 times per day in the hopes that your ear might pop. Well, that's how I feel, except this is worse. I seriously can't hear anything, and I have all this pressure in my head (in addition to the congestion I had before). I coudln't hear my phone ringing this morning, even though I was just in the next room. Amanda had to tell me it was ringing. I feel like if I could just rub some Q-tips around in there, I could relieve the pressure and all would be well. But I'm not supposed to do that (in fact, the doctor says that Q-tips are usually the culprits in cases like these). It's like an itch I can't scratch, and it's driving me crazy! This better work...
Now I feel like an old person -- the kind who only ever talks about their bad hip or their cataracts. Sorry. I'll try not to do that anymore.
P.S. Did I mention that my C-section is now scheduled for Feb. 19th, not the 18th? My doctor called me when he realized that his kids would have President's Day off from school and asked if I would be willing to move things back a day. It's not really a big deal, but it did bum me out at first. I'm mostly over it now, and I acknowledge that it will be nice to have Logan home the day before the baby comes.
I think I am officially in the nesting stage. I had a burst of energy yesterday to wash all the baby's clothes and blankets, set up his bassinet and organize all his acoutrements (diapers, lotions, wipes, etc.). I still need to launder all my maternity clothes, sort them, return the items that were borrowed and store the items that weren't. I need to write thank you notes to people who have given us gifts. I need to write the "just in case I die" letters to my husband and kids. I need to be sure everything is set to go for Valentine's Day. I need to go to Enrichment Night tonight (if they have a children's class; Logan has class tonight, of course). The home teachers are coming tonight, so I should probably do something about the mountain of dishes in my kitchen sink. Amidst all of this, I need to find a way to not ignore my children and apply basic grooming principles to all the occupants of this house. Sigh...
Did I mention that my ears feel like they're full of peanut butter? No? Well, I've been feeling very dehydrated for the past couple of weeks. It doesn't seem to matter how much effort I make to drink more fluids (not that I've made a very valiant effort; I really don't like to drink water); I just feel all dried out. Anyway, about a week ago, my right ear started hurting a little bit, especially if I blew my nose or something. Then I started running a slight fever, and then Amanda got a pretty bad fever (almost 102 degrees). So we made an appointment with our family doctor. By the time the appointment rolled around, Amanda's fever had broken and she didn't have any other symptoms. So that was good. After looking in my ears, however, the doctor said that they were plugged up and that it was probably causing the discomfort and the congestion I've been experiencing. He prescribed some ear drops for me and told me that they needed to be administered four times a day for two days. After two days, I'm to go back into the office to have my ears flushed out. So I had my first two doses last night. Have you ever gone swimming and had water stuck really far inside your ear? It kind of muffles things and makes you want to yawn 1,000 times per day in the hopes that your ear might pop. Well, that's how I feel, except this is worse. I seriously can't hear anything, and I have all this pressure in my head (in addition to the congestion I had before). I coudln't hear my phone ringing this morning, even though I was just in the next room. Amanda had to tell me it was ringing. I feel like if I could just rub some Q-tips around in there, I could relieve the pressure and all would be well. But I'm not supposed to do that (in fact, the doctor says that Q-tips are usually the culprits in cases like these). It's like an itch I can't scratch, and it's driving me crazy! This better work...
Now I feel like an old person -- the kind who only ever talks about their bad hip or their cataracts. Sorry. I'll try not to do that anymore.
P.S. Did I mention that my C-section is now scheduled for Feb. 19th, not the 18th? My doctor called me when he realized that his kids would have President's Day off from school and asked if I would be willing to move things back a day. It's not really a big deal, but it did bum me out at first. I'm mostly over it now, and I acknowledge that it will be nice to have Logan home the day before the baby comes.
Comments