Hooray!

February 18th is the day! My doctor is planning on doing surgeries on President's Day, so I'm good to go! That means I have 3 1/2 weeks until this baby comes. What a relief that it won't be any longer than that! I'm sad to say that I am already at my all-time high pregnancy weight gain -- and a lot could still happen in the next three weeks. Amanda weighed 7 lbs. 8 oz. at birth, and Lily weighed 7 lbs. 11 oz. -- both very average. Logan's mom had big babies, though -- especially her boys. Logan weighed 9 lbs. 1 oz., and his brother Clayton weighed 9 lbs. 12 oz.! I suppose it's possible that this kid has inherited the "big baby boy" gene through his father (but it's more likely that I've gorged myself on ice cream, egg rolls and pretty much everything else I've had the slightest inkling to put into my mouth).

It's a good thing the news from the doctor was positive. It almost made up for the fact that we waited for AN HOUR AND A HALF to see him. Are you kidding me?! It was about that long last time, too. Both the girls were with me, of course. They were very good for the most part. Amanda did have a bit of a meltdown toward the end of our wait, but we managed to keep things together. There was another woman in the waiting room who had her two children with her. Lily tried to make an escape at one point, so I had to go after her. I re-entered the waiting room just in time to see the woman handing pretzels to Amanda from a little plastic baggie. Amanda was happy as could be; I was less enthusiastic (though I couldn't show it, of course). I suppose different people have different policies on stuff like this. I mean, I realize that this lady was trying to do something nice, and that she was probably trying to teach her children the importance of sharing, and I'm sure the pretzels weren't laced with cyanide or anything, and blah, blah, blah. But I also think there is more than one thing wrong with my 3-year-old accepting food from strangers in public waiting rooms! Why didn't this woman approach me first? Suppose Amanda had an allergy to wheat gluten or something like that? Or suppose I didn't want her to have a pretzel binge right before lunch? Or what if I am trying to drive home the fact that it's not a good idea to accept food from people you don't know? Anyway, once Lily saw it, then she had to have pretzels too (and you CANNOT put Lily off when it comes to food unless you want to have a knock-down, drag-out brawl -- which I really wasn't in the mood for at that point). Maybe I'm making a bigger deal of this than it needs to be, but I really was irritated by it. Finally, the nurse came to say that the doctor was ready to see her, so she corralled her kids and left. The nurse calling my name was the only thing that could have made me feel more relieved (which, incidentally, didn't happen for another 45 minutes). Sigh.

Logan is going to be home at around 4:30 or 5:00 today. Yippee! You may be scratching your head and wondering why this is such a big deal. Well, he goes to school after work on Mondays, Tuesdays and Wednesdays. This prohibited him from doing an after-hours work project on any of those days, so for the entire month of January (up until this point, that is), he has been doing it on Thursdays and Fridays after work. But the project was completed this past Saturday. This is essentially the first weekday this month (minus Martin Luther King Day) that he hasn't had anything scheduled for after work -- he can just come home! This is a relief on many levels. I have some church responsibilities to take care of tonight (as is often the case), and I'm so glad I don't have to get another baby-sitter for the kids. They can actually have some time with their dad! Wish I were that lucky... : )

Geez, this really turned into a rambling epistle. Oh well.

Comments

Becky said…
That is so good that your kids will get daddy time! I hate it when Josh is gone all day and night! And I totally agree with you on the pretzel thing!

Popular posts from this blog

The Longest Update Ever...

Summer is here!

How It All Began