Amanda-isms

Look at me, posting two days in a row! I was thinking to myself last night and this morning that I've seriously got to do something to spice up my blog entries. Coincidentally, I received a message from a friend who acknowledged that yes, I do ramble in my blog. Fun rambling is one thing; rambling that makes you want to poke yourself in the eye so you have an excuse to leave is something totally different.

Today I think I'll share some Amanda-isms. I should be keeping a book of these; she seems to have an endless supply, and I'm sure that I've already forgotten some of the really good ones. Well, better late than never.

The other day, Amanda found a piece of cheese on my bed. Logan and I had eaten a plate of nachos up there. Anyway, she was rather distraught about this and immediately confronted Logan when he came home from a church meeting.
Amanda: "Dad, you're not supposed to eat nachos in your bed."
Logan: "Really? How come?"
Amanda: "Because it's very disappointing."

We were at our bishop's house a while back to get together with some friends who had moved out of the country and were back for a visit. All the kids were playing in another room -- except for Amanda, who was talking to the bishop. As she was talking to him, she was playing with a toy phone. She pushed a button on it, and it rang. Without even blinking an eye, she picked it up and said, "Clearfield South Stake, this is Brother Toone." I almost died laughing. Logan is the assistant stake executive secretary, and when I have meetings and it's Logan's turn to provide coverage for the brethren doing interviews, Amanda and Lily sit in the clerk's office with him. Apparently it made an impression.

Right before Amanda's third birthday, I was getting her cereal one morning. As she sat waiting for me to pour the milk, I heard her saying to herself, "'Twas the night before Christmas, when all through the house, not a creature was stirring -- not even a mouse. The stockings were hung by the chimney with care..." She went all the way to the part where he "tore open the shutters and threw up the sash." I was totally floored, because I knew I didn't teach that to her. Her great-grandmother had given us a bear the year before at Christmastime. When you squeeze its hand, it recites "'Twas the Night Before Christmas." That's where she learned it! By the time Christmas rolled around, she had memorized the whole thing!

Okay, that's probably good for today. I should probably record an Amanda-ism per day so I don't forget them. Lily's not quite old enough to have -isms, but she gets more and more verbal every day. One of these days I need to videotape her reaction to being offered a banana (her favorite). It's priceless!

Comments

Becky said…
She is hilarious! I just record all my "isms" on my blog. Maybe I'll print it into a book someday.
Darbee said…
Hi Kara! I am SO glad you found me!!! You have such a beautiful family...congrats! It's been so long since I've seen you. Where are you guys living? I know you are going to have that baby any day...but when life settles down, we'll need to get together! I'll put you on my contact list, so it'll be easier to stay in touch. Let me know if there is anything I can do to help when you deliver! Lots of loves...
Lisa said…
Hey yo...I like your rambling, and do not want to poke my eye out.
Dustin said…
Hilarious. I burst out laughing and now my coworkers are looking at me. Great to hear about your growing family -- Dustin Dibble

Popular posts from this blog

The Longest Update Ever...

Summer is here!

How It All Began