I'm Still Here!

I realize that it has been 4 million years since my last entry. What can I say? On some level I knew that this blog would go the way of my journals (I actually have a journal entry that goes something like, "Gee, it's been a year since I last wrote. Well, let's see. I got married..."). Yeah.

Tonight Logan is in St. George for work. He doesn't often travel for work, but I hate it when he does. It feels so weird to be alone overnight with the kids. Right now I have Lily in my bed because I don't like to be in here alone -- despite that it's 10:41 and she should be sound asleep in her crib. Well, it's not like I was a contender for the Mother of the Year Award anyway. Besides, I'm always saying that Lily gets lost in the middle somehow and needs more one-on-one time. Here it is!

Today started out pretty good, but there was a definite spoiler right around noon. I accidentally left my credit card at the local Arctic Circle when I went through the drive-thru on Friday. When I realized my card was missing, I called the restaurant and confirmed that it was there. The manager I spoke to told me I could come and pick it up. Well, Saturday got busy and I didn't make it over there. I didn't go on Sunday (Mother's Day), of course. I went there on Monday to pick it up -- and was informed that it couldn't be found! The manager on duty told me that he would call the woman I spoke to before and call me back when he found out where she put it. I came home and checked my credit card statement. There weren't any fraudulent charges on it, so I just waited for a call. Well, Tuesday went by without any word, so I checked my statement again this morning. Lo and behold, there were two charges on there -- one for $40 and one for $5 -- made on Mother's Day. And guess where the charges were made? ARCTIC CIRCLE! Are you kidding me? If you're an employee at Arctic Circle and you decide to start stealing customers' credit cards, at least have the common sense not to make purchases AT YOUR OWN WORKPLACE. Duh. Anyway, I was super mad. I called Arctic Circle and explained the situation (at one point, the manager I spoke to told me that someone was supposed to call me to tell me to cancel my card -- which nobody did). At any rate, I cancelled my credit card and got reimbursed for the $45 that was stolen from me. Now I just need to watch to see if any additional charges pop up on my card (it was out of my possession for a total of five days). If they do, I don't think I'm going to have any choice but to file a police report and ruin the future of some stupid 18-year-old. Why on earth would anybody do something so stupid?

Maybe I could've started out this post with something a little more cheery. On a happier note, Logan and I have been doing extensive work in our yard, and I'm very pleased with the results. I haven't taken any pictures yet, but I'll post them when I do. Actually, this will probably be a pictureless post. Sorry about that. I just don't have the energy today.

Since we recently celebrated Mother's Day, maybe I'll give a little background on my two moms. We'll start with my newest Mom, Nancy. She and my father-in-law, Dave, lived in the same neighborhood in Bountiful. When he got back from his mission, they dated briefly and then became engaged. She was 18 years old when they married and 19 when she had her first baby. Two years later, the most wonderful thing ever happened: Logan was born! : ) He was followed by four younger siblings, the youngest of which is now 11 years old. Things that impress me about my mother-in-law: she is a homemaker extraordinaire. Her house is ALWAYS clean; she crochets the most beautiful afghans (each of my children have been lucky recipients of her handiwork). She goes to great lengths to create fun activities and traditions for her family (a few favorites: choosing pumpkins at the pumpkin patch each October; letting the kids choose a "treat bag" from her pantry to soften the blow of having to leave Grandma's house). Probably the most important of all, she has raised six children who are total straight arrows. They all work hard, they all are honest, they all have strong testimonies, they all are polite -- the list goes on. I tell you, if she could bottle that and sell it, she'd be a billionaire. I remember her telling me once that as a mother, you have to look at things from the perspective of your children sometimes and remember that they don't have the life experiences to really understand what's important and what isn't. For example, I remember one time when Preston (Logan's youngest brother) was in kindergarten, he got a certificate at school saying that he was a "peacebuilder." Somewhere between school and home, he lost that piece of paper. He had been really excited to come home and show his accomplishment to his mom and dad, and he was really upset about losing it. Had it been me, I probably would've just brushed it off and said, "Oh, well. It was just a piece of paper." To me, that's all it was. But to Preston, it was the most important recognition he'd ever received. I remember the way she validated him and empathized with him when he was so disappointed. I have never forgotten that. Despite all these wonderful qualities that Nancy has, she always sells herself short and never gives herself enough credit for all the good things she does. Well, I'm here to say that I think she's FANTASTIC and I love her dearly. I honestly count her among my very favorite people and wish everyone could have a realtionship with their mother-in-law like I have with mine.

Now for my original mom. : ) Celia Baker spent her childhood in Monticello, Utah before moving to Ephraim to attend Snow College. While pursuing a degree in music education at Utah State University, she met my dad (Walter Baker) and they were married in June 1977. My older sister Lisa joined the family in 1979; I rolled along in 1981; and Krista finished things off in 1984. Anybody who knows my mom cannot help but comment on how incredibly articulate, smart and talented she is. Her musicianship matches or extends beyond that of just about anyone -- she sings in the Tabernacle choir and is an excellent accompaniast. She also writes and arranges music (she is fluent in the language of music theory, which not many people can claim). In addition to all of this, she is an exceptional writer (she writes for The Salt Lake Tribune) and a wonderful cook. To sum it up, she's a hard act to follow! With an intellect and drive like hers, she really could have taken her pick of just about any career the world has to offer (exept for pro volleyball player; she really COULD NOT have done that one). However, she chose to be a schoolteacher so that her schedule would line up with those of her children and allow her the maximum amount of time with us. I remember a story she related once. She had gone to St. George for some sort of choir festival, and she carpooled and roomed with two other teachers. They were both a couple years younger than she was and were both unmarried. Without any financial obligation for anyone but themselves, their clothes, hair and makeup all reflected the latest styles, and they seemed very glamorous to my mom. My mom felt pretty frumpy and dumpy compared to them, and even a little envious. One particular low was trying to hide the stains on her slip that resulted from careless little girls leaving crayons in their pockets through the dry cycle of the laundry. Anyway, my mom felt a bit discouraged and plain by the time they came back from the trip. When she got dropped her off at home, my sisters and I ran out of the house to meet her, smothering her with hugs and kisses and telling her how much we'd missed her. When she turned around to wave goodbye to her roommates, she was surprised to see that they, too, were envious -- of her! She said that the looks on their faces were a little bit sad, a little bit longing -- and she knew then that a crayon-stained slip was a very little price to pay for the kind of happiness that some people can only dream about. I think I still don't completely understand all that my mom has done, and continues to do, for me. Sometimes I'll be giving the kids baths, or getting their lunch; folding their laundry or reading them stories; and it will occur to me: "Someone did all this for me. My mother did this for me." Is there any greater love? Happy (belated) Mother's Day to all you moms out there.

Comments

Becky said…
That was such a sweet post. Your moms both sound awesome! I also find myself thinking "My mom did all this for me? AND more?" It's amazing how much love they have for their children. You are a great mother!
Kara...so fun to read about your stories. We miss you at WSU. I hope it's OK..I put a link to your blog on my blog (djevansfamily.blogspot.com).
lindsi said…
Kara! Crazy story about the credit card...sometimes you just have to wonder what in the heck people are thinking. I laughed when you said the charges were made at Arctic Circle. I hope everything gets resolved alright. And...what wonderful women and moms you have around you to look up to. Aren't moms just the best!

Popular posts from this blog

The Longest Update Ever...

Summer is here!

How It All Began